What is a VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) members in Montana are spending one year of their life to mobilize Montana communities to find long-term solutions to poverty. VISTAs are increasing the capacities of our communities to help make a better future for Montana's youth.
VISTAs will assist in carrying out the mission of the Prevention Resource Center to create an environment in which young people can lead healthy, fulfilling, and productive lives. The Prevention Resource Center strives to reduce child abuse and neglect, youth substance abuse, juvenile crime and violence, teen pregnancy, school dropouts, and childhood hunger.
The VISTA Summer Associate program is a short-term service opportunity. The Summer Associate program enhances an existing VISTA project by providing individuals that will participate for 10 weeks, alongside year-round VISTAs, in an intensive level of summer service.
VISTAs do the following to help non-profit agencies enhance their prevention efforts:
- Coalition Building: VISTAs create community partnerships to address prevention issues
- Needs Assessment: VISTAs determine the status of prevention in the community
- Group Facilitation: VISTAs coordinate the development of a community prevention plan
- Resource Development: VISTAs develop and expand human and financial resources
- Technical Assistance: VISTAs will assist the community partnership in developing a prevention training clearinghouse
These duties require a great deal of coordination and collaboration with state and local agencies and non-profit groups. Applicants should possess these qualities:
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in organizational relations and small group processes
- Demonstrated initiative, motivation, and the ability to work independently of supervision.
For more information, visit the AmeriCorps website.
It is required that VISTAs have a college degree or significant life experience, and personal transportation.
Each VISTA receives...
- A modest monthly subsistence ($990/month as of 06/12/2016).
- Temporary forbearance or deferment of repayment of qualifying Federal student loans.
- An educational award of $5,815 or a $1,500 end-of-service cash stipend at the end of the term of service.
- Choice of supplemental health coverage (includes wellness checks, prescriptions, and emergency dental; no vision) or Healthcare Allowance up to $6,350 (can be used towards your annual deductible or coinsurance costs, co-payments for office visits, or prescriptions).
- Relevant training and career development opportunities.
- Round trip travel expenses including mileage and per diem to Montana from your home of record per the VISTA Relocating to Serve Fact Sheet.
- Eligibility for term life insurance.
- Ten days paid annual leave.
- Ten days sick leave.
- Non-competitive federal civil service preference (must meet all other terms and conditions under OPM regulations).
- Through the VISTA ALIVE Program You will have the opportunity to earn graduate level credits either towards a Master's of Interdisciplinary Studies (M.I.S.) degree at the University of Montana, or for non-degree graduate credit.
Visit the My AmeriCorps website to apply online.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact:
Prevention Resource Center Director
PO Box 4210, Helena, MT 59604-4210